St George’s Church
ST 57 NW EASTON-IN-GORDANO CHURCH ROAD (south-east side)2/59 CHURCH OF ST GEORGE 11.10.61 – II*
Parish Church (Anglican). C14 and C15, mostly rebuilt and restored in 1871-72 by Ewan Christian (replacing a church of 1827 by Edward Bridges).
West tower, nave with clerestorey, north and south aisle, south porch, chancel and vestry. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; slate roofs behind embattled parapets. 15C restored 2011.
An unusual west tower of 3 stages with set-back buttresses; embattled parapet with blank arcading and an image niche in the centre of each side, pinnacles; 2-light bell chamber openings with ogee heads to the tracery; 2-light windows on second stage have transoms and ogee heads to the lights, tracery of small quatrefoiled circles in spandrels to lower lights and louvres to upper lights; projecting polygonal stair turret at north-east, blank arcading, embattled parapet and spire.
Three 2-light windows with cusped heads to the lights.
North and south aisles
2- and 3-light windows with thin tracery; rainwater heads dated 1871; lean to roofs. Projecting gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses.
3 bay arcade with hollow chamfered arches and octagonal shafts. C14 tower arch of 4 chamfered orders on a semi-octagonal responds; ogee headed doorway to stair turret on north pier. All fittings are 1871-72.
Font, pulpit and reredos
Are of elaborately detailed marble with figure scenes on the pulpit and reredos.
Chancel: Roger Soudon, died 1703, ashlar, Corinthian columns on gadrooned bases, half-relief of Soudon in clerical dress, cherubs and skull below;
Chancel: Thomas Morgan, died 1723, marble and ashlar, fluted columns and heraldry.
Tower: Mary Morgan, died 1710, baroque, ashlar, 2 Corinthian columns on grotesque corbels, segmental pediment and heraldry; Mary Morgan, died 1701).
North Aisle: Cordelia Wilkins, died 1774, by Allen of Bristol, marble inscribed tablet, urn and heraldry.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).Listing NGR: ST5142575746)
The horse trough in the foreground was donated to the Parish Council, previously sited outside the Kings Arms. Ideal for the carters to have some refreshment whilst the horses slaked their thirst prior to the stiff climb up the hill to Portbury.